Sicilia

Sicily
Picture it…a beautiful beach in southern Sicily, the olive-skinned locals sunning themselves. All the men are in tiny Speedos, and all the women are in tiny bikinis, no matter their age.

Now picture one pale Pacific Northwest family barging onto the scene with their hats, umbrellas, swim shirts, nine types of sunscreen, and full coverage bathing suits. And, oh yeah, did I mention the GIANT PINK FLAMINGO?

A little background: My big, loud, Italian-American family is in Sicily this week to celebrate my parents 50th wedding anniversary. We are here to watch them renew their vows in the little town my great-grandparents emigrated to America from in the early 1900’s.

There are no other Americans in this town. There are no other Americans on this beach. There are certainly no other people running into the Mediterranean Sea carrying eggplant parmesan and focaccia bread high above their heads yelling to their siblings, “C’MERE YOU GOTTA TASTE THIS!”

And there is definitely no other mother/grandmother riding on a giant pink flamingo and striking up a conversation with literally every single person she floats by. Honestly, I think my mom talked to more people on that beach in 3 hours than I talk to in six months.

Never mind that she doesn’t speak any Italian and they don’t speak any English. She gestures wildly, they gesture wildly, everybody laughs, and long story short, I’m pretty sure a guy named Luigi and his family are coming to our rental house for dinner.

“Laughter is the same in any language”. – My mom

9 comments on “Sicilia

1. Richard Dutt says:

Great J !

Sounds like a fun trip.

Dick.

2. ronald darienzo says:

Great summary and feel for our trip

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

3. Anonymous says:

if i wasnt married i`d marry u—just for laughs- but im jewish

4. Fran Collica says:

Janene, you summed it up pretty accurately. I know some days you think your mom goes a little overboard (in this case from a flamingo), but you wouldn’t have it any other way. We all love her. Sal and I enjoyed spending time with your family and to celebrate mom and dad’s 50th. Love you all.❤️❤️🇭🇺🇺🇸

5. janene says:

You’re right, I wouldn’t have it any other way! Besides, she’s SO easy to make fun of. 🙂

6. Carmen says:

Janene how exciting to celebrate 50 years anniversary of your parents in a beautiful place of origin. Your parents are youngest looking couple to celebrate 50 yrs!!! My hats off to them. What a wonderful family you are a part of💕